Saturday, March 3, 2012

I spent a lazy Saturday with a teen vampire slayer



 Joss McMillain witnesses the death of his own sister at the hands, or teeth, of a vampire and his life takes a dark and strange turn. He discovers that he is descendant from a long line of vampire slayers and travels to the Catskill Mountains to train for the hunt with a long lost uncle.
 I could not put this book down, finishing it in about four hours of delightful reading. Halfway through, I was captivated by Joss’ training and curious about how he would find his niche in the slayer community. His relationship with Abraham, the uncle who works him mercilessly to prepare Joss to fight a “hive” of vampires.
 The secret of the book is that the reader, like Joss, never knows who to trust. Brewer, the author, puts Joss alone in the woods with the prospect of a vampire attack looming more than a few times and each time I became nervous with anticipation. When Joss’ loyalty to the suspicious group of slayers is questioned, I read more quickly, anxious to find out how he would avoid persecution or even death.  
 I recommend this book for fans of either the Cirque du Freak series or Twilight. Readers wrote on Amazon that this book is not nearly as good as Brewer’s companion series, the Vladimir Tod chronicles, so I think I would recommend that series on the strength of my experience with this one. Although the book has some violent scenes with a fair amount of blood and dismemberment, the book is probably PG and an acceptable selection for middle schoolers and Amazon recommends it for 12 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment